
Farhan just turned nine last September. Ever since he was six years old, he has been practicing fasting every year in Ramadhan. Starting his practice from breakfast to 10 a.m. three years ago, up to last year he had been able to do the fasting from Shubuh to lunch time. Sometimes he didn’t fast for the reason of not having the sahur meal. “Waking him up for the sahur meal is the hardest thing to do,” his mom said. And it seems that it is still the hardest thing to do this Ramadhan.
This year, Farhan is already able to fast until lunch time even though he doesn’t have his sahur meal. Once I challenge him to do the full fasting, but he refuses with the excuse of not having the sahur meal. “I can’t. I didn’t have my sahur meal,” he said.
Last week I bought a jar of chocolate while doing my monthly shopping. Actually the chocolate was meant for the Idul Fitri feast, until I got this idea. About three days ago, I told Farhan that I would give him three pieces of chocolate if he could do the full fasting, and would give him only one piece if he finished his fasting at lunch time. He was satisfied with one piece instead. “It’s okay,” he said. The next day, when I got back from the office, he asked for two pieces of chocolate. He said it was because he finished his fasting until three p.m. My mom confirmed it. “Alright,” I said. By the way, I also have some chocolate cookies which I also gave him in the evening.
Yesterday morning, he woke up quite early for the sahur meal. His mom said that it was because he had had long sleep during the day.
Last evening when I got back home, Farhan welcomed me so eagerly and said “Twind, I did it! I did the full fasting.” And again, my mom confirmed it. My mom told me how funny he was while waiting for the maghrib time. I gave him three pieces of chocolate.
“Can I have one more?” he persuaded
“Alright,” I said
It’s almost 5:30 a.m. now and we had just got our sahur meal, including Farhan. Just like yesterday, It wasn’t hard to wake him up the way it used to. I asked Farhan to do the full fasting just like yesterday. Can you guess his response?
“No, I’m going to do the fasting until shubuh, so I can have the whole jar of chocolate.”
How powerful external motivation works on him. Don’t you think?
*Twind is short form of ‘tante wind’, the way farhan calls me.
This year, Farhan is already able to fast until lunch time even though he doesn’t have his sahur meal. Once I challenge him to do the full fasting, but he refuses with the excuse of not having the sahur meal. “I can’t. I didn’t have my sahur meal,” he said.
Last week I bought a jar of chocolate while doing my monthly shopping. Actually the chocolate was meant for the Idul Fitri feast, until I got this idea. About three days ago, I told Farhan that I would give him three pieces of chocolate if he could do the full fasting, and would give him only one piece if he finished his fasting at lunch time. He was satisfied with one piece instead. “It’s okay,” he said. The next day, when I got back from the office, he asked for two pieces of chocolate. He said it was because he finished his fasting until three p.m. My mom confirmed it. “Alright,” I said. By the way, I also have some chocolate cookies which I also gave him in the evening.
Yesterday morning, he woke up quite early for the sahur meal. His mom said that it was because he had had long sleep during the day.
Last evening when I got back home, Farhan welcomed me so eagerly and said “Twind, I did it! I did the full fasting.” And again, my mom confirmed it. My mom told me how funny he was while waiting for the maghrib time. I gave him three pieces of chocolate.
“Can I have one more?” he persuaded
“Alright,” I said
It’s almost 5:30 a.m. now and we had just got our sahur meal, including Farhan. Just like yesterday, It wasn’t hard to wake him up the way it used to. I asked Farhan to do the full fasting just like yesterday. Can you guess his response?
“No, I’m going to do the fasting until shubuh, so I can have the whole jar of chocolate.”
How powerful external motivation works on him. Don’t you think?
*Twind is short form of ‘tante wind’, the way farhan calls me.
0 comments:
Post a Comment