Few days ago, I got an email from a colleague. It was an article (or a story?) of finding mate. There was a single woman praying to God for a husband. She told God what kind of husband she would like to have. Her prayer was to no avail, and so on… and so on….
For short, at the end of the article, there were a few sentences considered to be the wisdom of the story. The advice more or less was like this:
Instead of being busy praying for a ‘perfect’ mate, we should just be busy making ourselves perfect. If we do so, then eventually we would find that perfect mate. And it’s not having the ‘perfect mate’ which is the issue of finding mate, but how we make ourselves and our mate perfect.
Maybe I was (am) too sensitive or what. Honestly, I felt offended.
FYI, that email was sent only for me, not for multiple recipients..
“for wind” … that was the message (the article was an attachment).
I felt like shouting at her and spilling things out:
“What do you know about living single at my age? Why don’t you just mind your own damn business…”
But of course I didn’t do it. I just read and deleted the article right after that.
Right after reading that article, I was kind of trying to tell myself that she didn’t mean to offend me at all. Maybe she got that article from someone or found it somewhere and that article reminded her of me since I was the only one who is still single at the moment.
It just so happened that she then forwarded that article without thinking too much on what I would feel if I read that kind of article.
FYI, I never told her a thing about my private life, past or present. She didn’t even know me during the time I was experiencing the hardest time in my life. I have never asked for her opinion about my private matters. And the most important thing, I never ever mind her private matters as well… and now?
Well, maybe along my interaction with her I really looked like an easy going person. And this makes her feel comfortable enough to tell me anything she likes.
I don’t deal with other people’s private lives unless they tell me or ask for my opinion. Not because I don’t care. It’s more that I don’t want to trespass the line…
For me, everybody needs respect. And respecting other people’s private matters is something crucial.
Well, maybe she doesn’t know that.. or maybe she just doesn’t value that the way I do.
Now, I’m trying to just let go this feeling of offense each time I meet her.
Keep telling myself that she never meant to offend me with that article…
(sigh)
2 comments:
:)
if she reads this post, she will learn a lot from you, wind :)
please tell me...honestly...
am I too sensitive about that email?
am I exaggerating?
coz i really feel bad about this
Post a Comment